Smart people learn from their mistakes. But, the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.
If you want to finish a task successfully, it is important to know the common mistakes that others commit while undertaking the same task. If you learn from follies of other people, you will avoid mistakes of your own. The same life-lesson is extremely important when it comes to painting your home.
If your dream is to paint your home with beautiful colors, you have to be cautious. Avoid common painting mistakes that have the potential to turn your home into a disaster. Here are a few of the common painting mistakes that homeowners commit while painting their home:
- The No-Estimate Mistake
Time and money, both fly. So, it is important that you take good care of them. Before starting your painting project, take a few minutes out of your schedule to calculate your budget. Here are a few things that require your attention while creating a full-proof budget:
- Total amount of money that you can spend on the painting project.
- Total number of rooms that you can afford to paint after ascertaining the expenses.
- Approximate number of days to complete the project.
Usually, homeowners become eager to finish the painting project without considering their budget. But, you should calculate the expenses and then decide whether you are ready for it.
- The Mistake of choosing Low-Quality Products
If you have a limited budget, it is important that you don’t paint all the rooms at once. If you try to accommodate painting the entire home on a limited budget, you will have no choice but to opt for low-quality products.
It is important to avoid low-quality products because of the following reasons:
- Difficulty in application.
- Inability to provide adequate adhesion.
- Lack of protection against harsh weather.
- Non-durability is another reason to avoid low-quality products.
- Inability to give you the desired result.
So, choose high-quality painting products that last long and help you save money in the long term.
- The Mistake of Disregarding your Property
Your home is not your only treasure. The furniture and fixtures of your home are equally important. If your disregard them, you will have to spend a fortune on repairing or replacing them. So, you must do the following things before painting your home:
- Move the furniture to protect it from paint. You can place your furniture in the middle of the room before painting the walls and doors.
- Cover the furniture and floor by using plastic sheets. You can tape the corners for extra protection against paint splatters.
- Remove decorations and art frames from the room.
- Cover lighting fixtures to ensure that you do not ruin them.
- The Mistake of Unpreparedness
Fail to prepare; and prepare to fail is a wise saying. You must keep it in mind while painting your home. If you do not prepare the surface for painting, you can be assured of a disastrous painting job. So, it is important to prepare the surface for painting by doing the following things:
- Cleaning the surface and removing dust, debris, mildew, etc.
- Power cleaning the surface with a pressure washer, if required.
- Scrutinizing the surface for holes, cracks and any other type of damage.
- Repairing the damages by filling the holes and caulking the minor cracks.
- Sanding the surface and priming it.
- Using quality paints to finish the painting job.
- The Mistake of Neglecting the Weather
You should not neglect the weather conditions while painting the exterior of your home. If you ignore the environment, the fresh coat of paint will be ruined and the painting project will not meet its deadline. Here are a few guidelines for exterior home painting:
- Paints dry quicker in direct sunlight or extremely hot weather.
- Paints dry faster in a windy environment.
- Avoid painting in excessive humidity because it can cause cracking.
- Stay away from painting in rains because it can wash away the paint.
15-20°C and less than 70% humidity with a cool breeze are considered as the ideal conditions for home painting. Remember that while choosing the ideal condition for painting, moderation is the key.
A freshly painted house is the easiest to advertise because of its refreshing look
Giving your home a fresh new appearance with a coat of paint like some offered by tradepro is one of the most affordable ways of refurbishing your home. But, to achieve a quality painting result, you must avoid the common painting mistakes that other homeowners commit. If you succeed in escaping them, a beautiful home will be a reality for you.